Thursday 23 May 2013

macaron miniature tutorial

EDIT: I've made an updated version of this tutorial. The steps are the same, but the photos are slightly clearer (I hope). Check it out!

Polymer clay has been a hobby of mine since late last year, and over the months I've come to get the right tools, skills, colours and practice for it. One particular type of using it is to make miniatures, especially food. I tend to make simple pieces rather than complex, as I'm not very good at it yet. Here I'll show you step by step instructions on how to make a miniature macaron! Here are some of my examples using this technique.
Firstly, you can make these out of any clay you want (air dry, cold porcelain, polymer). They can be any size and colours you want, which is probably why I love them so much; for their variety!


Start off with two equal amounts polymer clay. To achieve more realistic results, I prefer to mix a tiny bit of the colour with translucent. As you can see, I've mixed red with translucent. It doesn't matter if you make them different colours; remember to be creative!

Next up, form a small flat circular (or any shape you want) with one of the portions of clay. Be sure to try and minimize your fingerprints on it and keep dust out! Using the same colour, roll out a snake.

Wrap the snake around the macaron shell once and cut off any excess.


 Using a needle tool (or just a needle) or a sharp tipped tool, texture the snake you just wrapped around by moving the pointed end in a circular motion around it, creative a rough 'breadcrumb' texture. Here I used the tip of a crafting blade/knife.

Repeat the process with the second blob of clay, creating two.

 Now just simply join them together and you're done! You can put glue or 'bake and bond' in between the two macaron shells to secure them, but I find just patting them together works as well.

And you're done! Make as many as you like in all sorts of colours and sizes. Mine are about 1 cm in diameter each (I'm not sure what scale it is though).

Happy crafting everyone! Let me know in the comments about my first blog post. :)






2 comments:

  1. These are so adorable! And great tutorial! :) I've been wanting to start clay crafting again (I haven't used clay in ages!), and I think I'll make some of these macaroons. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, and I hope to see them on your blog! :D

    ReplyDelete